Posted by Rick Peers
We are building a Community Garden at Omokoroa Point School. If you can spare $5 – $10 (or more if you can afford it) to help this happen we would be very grateful.
This Garden has the backing of the Omokoroa Point School Board of Trustees and the Omokoroa Food Bank.
- We aim to provide a selection of planter beds that the general public can come and harvest from for free. Fresh, in season, vegetables; herbs and fruit will be there for anyone who needs it.
- We aim to provide a set number of planter beds for the school to utilise for education with the “garden to table” scheme. More information can be found here. http://www.gardentotable.org.nz . Due to the current work load of teachers; the new buildings being built and other financial commitments the school will look to take on the Garden to table curriculum in either late 2020 or early 2021.
- We are planning on leasing out a number of the planter beds to the local community to encourage people to come together and support each other and provide a safe place for people to meet and build a sense of community. The rental on these beds will be nominal (approx. $15 / month). It is to ensure there is some buy in from the users and to provide a small income for maintenance and the purchase of consumables.
- There will also be planter beds set aside for the community food bank to provide them with fresh, in season vegetables for those that need it in our community.
- The Good Neighbour Trust have agreed to help us out with the build and to provide support through mentors.
- Supergans of Kati Kati have contacted us and would love to be involved too. Great news! https://www.supergranswbop.org.nz/
- Thank you to all of you who have donated via the give a little page Please follow the link to see who these people are. All of your donations are gratefully received, large or small.
- Also thank you for the generous donations so far of a shed; wheelbarrow; pots; seeds; garden benches. Please keep them coming.
- So far we have sponsors for 7 of our planter beds. A big thank you to (in no particular order):
- Tremains Real Estate.
- Bernie Limbrick of Tall Poppy Real Estate.
- The Garden Early Learning Centre.
- MEC Electrical.
- Nick Kershaw of Prime Strategies.
- Mark Lynch of Excel Insurance.
- Thank you to Lex Bacon who is donating his time and digger to the project.
- Thank you to Richard Hewison for his offer to survey the site.
I fear i might have missed someone. If i have please let me know as i’d like to let everyone know of your generosity.
We still need your help. If you’d like to sponsor or co-sponsor a planter bed or if you can help with a small donatio; have any tools; water tanks; seeds; gardening skills; or just want to be a part of it. Please email me at email@example.com
Id love to hear from you.
If you have a community group, I’d be happy to come and do a presentation to tell you all about it.